Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Happiness at the Misfortune of Others

Schadenfreude: [n. SHAW-den-froy-duh] Delight in another person's misfortune.

This is a real term that came up in the Broadway hit; Ave Q. I saw it recently, and it was hilarious!! The term Schadenfreude is a German term meaning people find some sort of pleasure from others misfortunes. For example: finding it funny watching a door close in someones face. Or seeing someone unable to get into the class of their choice...and thinking..."hahaaha glad that wasn't me!!"

It makes me wonder...do we all experience this phenomenon called SCHADENFREUDE??

I won't lie...I know I do!! Like today this poor unfortunate soul missed his bus...and I thought: 'well that sucks" *chuckle chuckle* Does that make me a bad person?? I always try to put myself in the other person's shoes...but sometimes...its just funny. Sympathy for others should be a natural reaction, but it doesn't always arise...like in times when you see some poor sap getting slapped by his gf.

Feel free to comment if you've ever had this feeling of "Schadenfreude" =P



No comments: